2004 Sep 04 21:13

Re: [vox] [vox-admmapsin@lists.lugod.org]

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Hrm.  Sucks.  At some point, I believe we got all "MAPS" inclusion to go
> into the domain part of an email address, so that people who run their
> own mailservers don't see crud to "usMAPSername@domain.com".  But instead,
> spammers' mail will get lost on its way to "username@doMAPSmain.com".

Thank you for doing that.  I certainly noticed a reduction in spams from
the MAPS arena... but didn't know quite why.

> Recently, someone from SVLUG asked the Web Team if they could somehow munge
> or remove addresses from archived posts.  Don Marti's response was a pretty
> swift "No"...  his reasoning is that if we alter the medium (email) due to
> abuse (spammers), /we/ lose.

We can at least &#NNN; them when displaying...  Better than nothing.

> When setting up my high school 10 year reunion website, I created a form
> which people could get to by clicking an "Email this person" link in
> the list of graduates that we had collected.
>
> It did not expose the address, and the email that the form sent came via
> the webserver.  This way, peoples' addresses were not visible on the site
> for both privacy reasons AND anti-spam reasons.

We do that on our church website's guestbooks.  We also record [almost]
all e-mail sent via the form because there's a lot of minors' e-mail
addresses on the guestbook.  I've noticed that we occasionally get some
enthusiastic scammer who sends Nigerian Scam messages through our website,
by filling out the forms individually.  That's SO WRONG, man... it's an
individual attack on each person, minors no less.  They got so much zeal
that they e-mail each individual, ALL OF THEM, even though they have to go
through several clicks and copy-and-pastes, and although they have to
endure the 1-second webmail throttling I put on the mail system.

When a scammer sends out e-mails like this, because some of the guestbook
entries have outdated e-mail addresses I (as the webmaster) usually get
the e-mail bounces, so I get a relatively quick notification of these
Nigerian Scam messages.  Then I quickly turn around and report the scam to
the abuse address of the Nigerian Scammer's e-mail domain, and send out
e-mails to all the guestbook e-mail addresses warning them not to reply to
the scam message.

Things have calmed down recently, though, probably at least in part
because I put in a warning message on the e-mail posting form stating that
we're monitoring the webmails and that we have a quick response time.

In the end, IT'S ALL WORTH IT... =)

(BTW, these guestbooks are at http://www.ckbch.org/em/guestbook/ and
http://www.ckbch.org/youth/guestbook/ if anyone wants to check 'em out.)

> Perhaps I can look into setting something like it up on LUGOD.org.

YES please!

> Sadly, I would only be able to do it on the Members page, since that's my
> baby.  I know very little about the way the mail archives work. :^(

Can you create a wrapper, maybe?  That shouldn't require much knowledge
about how the archive works, right?

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim