2004 Sep 03 16:45

Re: [vox] Let's Kill the 76 Char Line Limit!

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 01:05:13PM -0800, Edward Elliott wrote:
> As the old movie, I cantí take it anymore!! Of the dozens of groups
> and boards I belong to, LUGOD is the only one that restricts the
> member to non-wrapping text lines of 76 chars. Of the many
> technical, professional, healthcare, political, education, etc.,
> this is the only one still forcing these strange restrictions on the
> members.

You're on the wrong lists. Most lists to which I am accustomed
to--especially UNIX-oriented ones, have this limit. Most USENET groups
I read as well.

It is simple courtesy to those of us who use text-based readers
readers, which is not a small number on this list at least.

> The key problem with this is that I canít use my word processor to
> draft the email and then copy it over to the mail client. And my
> previous email posting was certainly proof of the sad consequences
> of getting caught without my trusty word smithing tools. (Please
> donít reply with any flames about your favorite mail client, thatís
> not the point so please donít go off in that direction).

Any mail sender I'm aware of (including Outlook) can easily adapt the
line size automatically, without any manual intervention on your
part. If you read the FAQ, I believe you will find instructions on how
to set this up.

I'm extremely doubtful you will find much support for your proposal on
this list (including myself), but best of luck.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name