2004 Sep 03 11:32

[vox] Article: Will Schwarzenegger Terminate Windows?

[vox] Article: Will Schwarzenegger Terminate Windows?

Currents: Linux in Government: Will Schwarzenegger Terminate Windows?
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 by Tom Adelstein

  Whereas other Californians have described real financial savings
  over a period of years in a paper called "SO10 Explore Open Source
  Alternatives", Cave presents a misleading view of open-source
  desktops. The savings discussed in the SO10 paper are available, and
  we discuss them below.

  The California state government will face two kinds of opposition in
  its effort to save taxpayers money and implement open-source
  initiatives--opposition from outside and opposition from inside. The
  opposition from outside already has formed. Many people believe that
  outside opposition operates as a front for Microsoft, a claim that
  California regulators should examine. Simply ask the lobbyists who
  they really represent.

  During my analysis of state documents, I found savings hidden in
  failed projects, excessive licensing costs, procurement restrictions,
  sweet vendor deals, duplication of agency software and poor accounting
  practices. I also discovered something ugly and sinister--the vendor
  lobby.

etc.  Enjoy :)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com            Man, some trip this turned out to be.
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       All we caught is a tire, a boot,
New Breed Software                    a tin can and this book of cliches.