2004 Sep 01 14:14

Re: [vox] FWD: How Linux helps Microsoft

Re: [vox] FWD: How Linux helps Microsoft

I don't think that anyone with a clue believes the marketing hype that M$
constantly propagates.

But the point is: M$ does benefit from competition, but the big winners when M$
competes is the users.  I have seen the best improvements with windows in
recent memory due to the competition that linux provided.  I don't like M$Win
(otherwise I wouldn't have switched), but I have to admit that when linux makes
a significant improvement, windows isn't far behind (or vice versa, I must
admit as well).

The point of linux isn't to dominate the desktop os market.  The purpose is to
reduce costs in the enterprise with a single OS running on the servers on down
to the workstations.  The hardware should be the real cost, not the software or
OS.  M$ doens't want to lose the 'desktop toll' that is paid by every PC
manufacturer to put Windows on it.  This toll isn't the biggest moneymaker,
just the inroad to sell all the other applications they make.  But the threat
of linux is looming over this model...

So they pump up these fake studies and hire reporters to spread FUD.

M$ is (IMHO) running scared because the threat of a unified Unix (linux and
more compatibility between major vendors' unixes), then there is no place for
any of M$'s software in that model, and that has them throwing money into every
piece of FUD they can trump up.

Seems like the same old crap from over there in Redmond.

--my $0.02

jan

--- "R. Douglas Barbieri" <doug@dooglio.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was sent this link by someone I know who is decidely anti-Linux.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2004/08/31/cz_dl_0831msft.html
>
> I'd like to know what vox-ites would say to this article. It appears
> pretty slanted, but the one point I like is that Microsoft (and it's
> customers!) will benefit from competition. Linux is the only OS to give
> them a run for their money.
>
> Here is an excerpt:
>
> "Microsofties say they were more worried about Linux a few years ago,
> when it was a truly free program, spreading on its own, from user to
> user, like a virus. Now that Linux costs real money, and is sold by
> buttoned-down blue suits from IBM and Novell, Microsoft feels more
> confident. Microsoft has beaten these guys, badly, in operating system
> wars before."
>
> --
> R. Douglas Barbieri
> doug@dooglio.net
> http://www.dooglio.net
> > begin:vcard
> fn:R. Douglas Barbieri
> n:Barbieri;R. Douglas
> email;internet:doug@dooglio.nbet
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> url:http://www.dooglio.net
> version:2.1
> end:vcard

=====
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple
matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism,
and exposing the country to greater danger.
     --Hermann Goering