2004 Sep 01 12:53

Re: [vox] FWD: How Linux helps Microsoft

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:19:03AM -0700, Ken Bloom wrote:

> They mention a cost study, and we all know how effective those are.
> (They don't even mention whose study it was, or what it compared)

I dislike when schools and gov'ts decide to accept MS's price cuts.
First off, are they _guaranteed_ lower prices from now until the end
of time?  I'm wary of anything that /apparently/ costs a lot, but somehow
can be sold to me for much cheaper for some reason.
(*cough* "First time's free...")

> They complain about device driver support, which is a direct result
> Microsoft's unfair influence in the hardware market. They don't
> mention all of the devices and hardware that linux runs better on
> (like SMP, 64bit processors, etc...)

Of course not.

> Furthermore, if Micrsoft beats IBM and Novell, then Linux will still
> be around supported by guys like Debian and the OSS community, and it
> will be free again.

I know we all realize this, but somehow the article seems to be making
this statement, and you just kind of reiterated it.  IBM and Novell are NOT
making Linux /cost/ anything.

Change "will be free again" to "will continue to be free" :^)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com            Man, some trip this turned out to be.
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       All we caught is a tire, a boot,
New Breed Software                    a tin can and this book of cliches.