2004 Sep 01 10:31

Re: [vox] FWD: How Linux helps Microsoft

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:15:01AM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> > > Now that Linux costs real money, and is sold by
> > > buttoned-down blue suits from IBM and Novell, Microsoft feels more
> > > confident. Microsoft has beaten these guys, badly, in operating system
> > > wars before."
<snip>
> > Must I bring up my pizza analogy _again_? :)
>
> Sure. Please do. I must respond to this. :-)

Heh, well, okay.  I used to use the analogy with Linux distros, but it should
work fine with IBM and Novell.

  Linux (more generally, Open Source software) is like Pizza.
  If Roundtable goes out of business, there's always Pizza Hut.
  And in any case, you can get the recipe, and can make it at home.

The standard rebuttal works to those who say they can't cook (i.e., "I don't
care that it's open source, because I'm not a programmer):

  Hire a chef, or find a friend who can cook. ;^)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com            Man, some trip this turned out to be.
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       All we caught is a tire, a boot,
New Breed Software                    a tin can and this book of cliches.