2004 Aug 30 14:03

Re: [vox] [Fwd] Warning CPR provisions for OpenSource under attack

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:01:03PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Another message from Owen, directed towards LUGOD, in fact.
> There's a hearing at UC Davis on September 27th that Owen is encouraging
> OSS folks to attend, to help rebut the closed-source lobbiests that will
> be there.  See below...
>

>   Please pass this along to LUGOD as well...
>
>     <http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/archives/update56.shtml>
>
>   This is the schedule for CPR public hearings.  The next and apparently only
>   remaining Northern California venue is Davis, September 27th.  Ideally, we

What are the time and location? I'm probably free then to go and
testify. Can we organize a collection of statements that speak to each
of these issues, so that we don't all overlap each other?

>   should get as many members of the Open Source community as possible to
>   attend and make comments endorsing SO10.
>
>   Other hearings are 9/9 (Natural History Museum of Los Angeles),
>   9/10 (CSU Long Beach), 9/17 (CSU Fresno).  If we have any way to get
>   anyone to show up and testify at those meetings, we should try to do that
>   as well.  I guarantee you the closed source lobby will be at each and
>   every one.
>
>   Some information for people who go to testify (I'm sure this will be
>   familiar for a lot of you, but, there are some dos and don'ts included
>   specifically from my observations of this meeting):
>
>     1. People are limited to three minutes.  Try to keep it under
>        that.  If you don't have anything to say that hasn't been
>        said before you at that hearing, keep your comments to
>        "I'd like to echo what has been said before in support of
>        recommendation SO10" and leave it at that.  They are not
>        impressed by unnecessary repetition.
>
>     2. Use this template or something very close to it:
>
>        My name is <your full name>, <SPELL your last name>
>        <state any relevant affiliation, such as President of
>        Linux Users Group, or, simply state I am a citizen of
>        California>,
>        and I'm speaking in support of recommendation SO10.
>
>        <One sentence describing your idea of the primary benefit
>        to SO10>
>
>        <Whatever you want to say, try to keep this to 90 seconds>
>
>        <Summarize>
>
>        Honorable members of the committee, thank you for your time,
>        and for your attention to this matter.  I also urge you to
>        review the written comments filed in support of this
>        recommendation.
>
>     3. Don't worry if you don't use the full three minutes.
>
>     4. Try to speak slowly.  Unless you've done this a lot,
>        nerves will tend to cause you to speak much more quickly
>        than normal.  Make an effort to speak slowly and clearly.
>        Avoid shouting or mumbling.
>
>     5. There will be a guy sitting in front of the committee that
>        will hold up a 2-minute sign, then a 1-minute sign, then a
>        30 second sign (all yellow), and, finally, a red STOP sign
>        if you are over the 3 minute time limit.  I did not see them
>        let anyone go more than 15 seconds beyond the 3 minutes, and,
>        they were generally pretty annoyed with anyone who did.
>
>     6. Be neat and clean in appearance.  You don't need to be in
>        suit and tie, but, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you have
>        a good one and can wear it comfortably.  Try to appear as
>        professional (in the lawyer sense of the word, not the
>        programmer sense :-) as possible.  Remember, these people
>        are lawyers and bureaucrats, so, we need to speak to them
>        and appear on their terms as much as possible. (yeah, this
>        one is the hard one for me, too).
>
>   Owen
>

> -bill!

My key was last signed 08/18/2004. If you use GPG *please* see me about