2004 Aug 10 12:25

Re: [vox] Wireless PCMCIA recommendations

Re: [vox] Wireless PCMCIA recommendations

Mark

You don't specify, but I'm guessing you want 802.11g. From what I understand, the prism family chipset is one of the best supported in linux, so check here:

http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php

For a large table of cards and what chipsets they have, check here (last updated in February, so maybe a little dated):

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

From that list, it looks like Netgear puts either prism or atheros chipsets in their 802.11g cards. Atheros chipsets have good reports of linux support with the "madwifi" driver. Seems to me like Netgear is a safe choice.

Jonathan

Mark K. Kim wrote:
I know there's been this thread not long ago, but I couldn't find at Fry's
the Orinoco card that was overwhelmingly recommended.  Does anyone know a
Linux compatible PCMCIA card that's a little more carried by major
computer stores?  Like... Netgear or Linksys or D-Link...?

Thanks!

-Mark