2004 Aug 05 11:34

Re: [vox] Linux No. 2?

Rod Roark wrote:
On Thursday 05 August 2004 08:12 am, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

My son came up with this URL. The claim is that Linux has surpassed the Mac as the no. 2 desktop OS.

http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/04/linux
More interesting to me is IDC's claim (in the same article)
that Linux will have 6% of desktops by 2007.  Might not seem
like a lot, but it's huge in terms of *rate* of growth.

And 6% will become quite annoying to hardware and software
vendors who have had the luxury of shrugging off Linux
compatibility in the past.
I'll just be pleased when I can buy a laptop that is (a) durable[1], (b) works flawlessly with Debian, and (b) has three mouse buttons.

[1] I don't care if it's only got a 300MHz processor; I want an aircraft aluminium case and a weight under 2lbs.