2004 Aug 03 23:05

Re: [vox] Linux beginner help

--On Tuesday, August 03, 2004 09:50:01 PM -0700 Lili Sun <gvansun@yahoo.com> wrote:

 I am working in Biology field, and I do not know Linux at all, but I
really want to learn it and do some programming in bioinformatics
field.  I realized that there are so many Linux books for beginners and
distribution versions available in the market.  Could anyone suggest a
book and Linux version good for beginners?  Thanks a lot in advance!
By coincidence, there was a book review posted to slashdot.org today that you might find interesting. See <http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/04/07/31/1836236.shtml>. Apparently, the book comes with a copy of Knoppix (a version of linux that boots and runs from a CD-ROM), and uses that to introduce the reader to linux in general. You may find some of the followup comments useful, as well.

--
Ken Herron