2004 Jul 30 13:40

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Aug 04: John H Terpstra: Samba and the Back Office

For those who feel like going to SVLUG next Wednesday (middle of LWCE)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from William R Ward -----

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:45:16 -0700
From: William R Ward
Subject: SVLUG Aug 04: John H Terpstra: Samba and the Back Office

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of the Silicon Valley Linux
Users Group!

WHAT:

  Samba and the Back Office

WHEN:

  Wednesday, 04 Aug, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:

  John H Terpstra, CTO/President, PrimaStasys, Inc.

BACKGROUND:

  Linux has gained a significant share of the back office
  market. Samba helps Linux based servers to interoperate with
  Microsoft Windows servers with few barriers. Samba is also found on
  large Solaris, HPUX and AIX systems where it bridges the gap between
  the Windows world and the UNIX world. In this presentation John will
  review the forces that shape Samba's adoption into he back office,
  the support systems available, as well as the role of other key open
  source applications in this important area.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

  John H Terpstra is CTO/President with PrimaStasys, Inc. He works
  with businesses to realign information technology practices with
  business goals.  He is a member of the formation committee of the
  Desktop Linux Consortium a long term member of the Samba-Team (a
  major Open Source project), a well known contributor and visionary
  in the open source community with a very active commercial focus. He
  is a member of the Open Source Software Institute Advisory Board. He
  has worked with the LSB, Li18nux (now OpenI18N.Org), The LPI, and is
  a best selling author of :

	Samba-3 by Example, ISBN: 0131472216
	Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
	OpenLDAP by Example, ISBN: 0131488732

  John has worked with The SCO Group (previously Caldera Inc.),
  TurboLinux Inc., in VP level positions. Prior to moving to the USA
  in 1999, John founded and managed Aquasoft Pty Ltd (Aust.) for 10
  years. He has a Graduate Diploma in Marketing (with Credit), UTS
  Aust. and an Applied Science Certificate in Chemistry, QUT (Aust.).

WHERE:

Cisco Building 9 in Cisco's "Vineyards Conference Center".  This is at
Cisco Systems' East Tasman campus in North San Jose.

Usually we have only half of the conference center so you'll be directed
right or left once inside to the side where the meeting is.  Directions on
how to get there are listed at:

        http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.  If you
have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team know!
web-team@svlug.org

NOTES:

If you take transit, be aware that almost everything has changed.
The VTA light rail extension to Alum Rock is open now.  And the
VTA 180 Express buses from Fremont BART now stop at VTA's Great Mall
light rail station, making the transit trek from the East Bay easier
than before.  Other bus routes and schedules have also changed.
SVLUG's transit directions have been updated:
   http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9-transit.shtml

If you arrive with the peak of the crowd, there may be a small line
at the sign-in table, where Cisco's security will ask you to sign in.
(The facility is Cisco's private conference center which is not usually
available for public meetings.  SVLUG appreciates being given the rare
privilege to meet here!)

After the speakers end their presentation there is usually a Q&A session,
time for job seekers and employers/recruiters to meet, and door prizes if
any are provided to SVLUG.  When the meeting is over people are encouraged
to chat a bit, but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty of time to chat
outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
selection at the meeting - note that we are no longer going to the
IHOP because they don't do separate checks any more.

----- End forwarded message -----

PS - The bit about IHOP isn't exactly accurate; it seems we vote on
where to go for dinner, prior to each meeting :)