January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 20 13:04

Re: [vox] LUGOD member needed for TV interview

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:55:52AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:

> My rule of thumb is: NEVER do anything quickly as root.

Good rule of thumb.

> It's easy to get into the habit of typing in a command and
> pressing Enter, all in one fluid motion.  Don't do that!
> Type in the command, then look at it for at least 1-2
> seconds.  Then press Enter.

Of, of course!  This is why I also echo output of wildcards, or at least
do a tab-complete for things like 'rm document*'; that way, I at least
see every file in the directory that starts with 'document'.

> For what it's worth, I have never wiped out an installation
> by accident.

I did before I started slowing down. *grin*  Fortunately, I learned most
of my lessons with 'rm' before starting my actual career as a sysadmin,
so I have yet to blow anything away in a production environment.