January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 20 10:42

Re: [vox] LUGOD member needed for TV interview

Re: [vox] LUGOD member needed for TV interview

--On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 09:52:35 -0700 Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 06:48:17AM -0700, donw@examen.com wrote:
Screw that, I'm an expert! ;)  I can tell my tale of destroying a
two-day build with an errant 'cp'...
Heh, first thing I do when I get a new shell account is alias 'cp', 'mv'
and 'rm' to 'cp -i', 'mv -i' and 'rm -i', respectively. :^)
Heh, the first thing I do when I log into a box with those aliases set is to curse the person who thought they were a good idea. Those aliases are dangerous. You get used to typing unnecessarily broad wildcards, then one day you log in somewhere where the aliases aren't in place and blow away half a filesystem.

If someone really thinks they need aliases like these, they should at least use different names for the commands, like "copy", "move", and "remove".

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron Kenneth.Herron@mci.com v658-5894 916-569-5894