2004 Jul 13 12:37

Re: [vox] [OT] Four MORE IE exploits

Ken Bloom wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:36:00AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

I have a feeling the disc at STC will be popular, simply because it's
got Firefox and Mozilla on it. ;^)

 http://secunia.com/advisories/12048/

   "Paul has reported some vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, allowing
   malicious people to bypass security restrictions and potentially
   compromise a vulnerable system. ..."

I'm going home this weekend to ensure that my parents replace Internet
Explorer with Mozilla.

I'm a Galeon person myself on Linux (and I generally use Konqueror
when I have some reason to use some other browser). What are the
relative advantages/disadvantages of Firefox vs. Mozilla?

Mozilla is a browser, email/news client, irc client, and html editor rolled into one program. Altogether, it is very much like Netscape in look and feel. Firefox is a browser only. There is also Thunderbird, which is just an email client. I've been using Mozilla for browsing and email since I started with Linux ~2 years ago, but I think I will be switching to Firefox/Thunderbird. They seem to load faster (less extras loaded into memory), and they are a little prettier. The options/preferences menus are a little more intuitive in Firefox also. Probably the best option for someone making the switch from IE.

Jonathan