2004 Jul 12 12:26

Re: [vox] installfest July 17?

Rob Rogers wrote:
On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:12:56PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
By the way, I have never met an external modem that is not Linux-compatible.
AFAIK, all external modems (RS-232 serial or USB) are controller-based and
therefore should work just fine without any special drivers. For internal
modems, a good resource is <http://linmodems.org/>.

I've never met an RS-232 modem that was not Linux-compatible, but many
USB modems are Win-modems.
If you have an ISA slot (many motherboards don't these days, but I suspect the old NEC in question does), this guy is a no brainer: http://www.bestdata.com/product.asp?pid=49&catID=4
This modem is available at Fry's and Office Max (and probably other places too). The box actually says "Linux" (which is nice) and the reason is the jumpers. You get one jumper for IRQ and one for COM, so you can set it to whatever you have available. Setting either to something nonstandard will have you learning all about the "setserial" command, but if you choose one of the four "default" com/irq combos for serial ports, you'll be a-ok (no driver, no headache).

I also have a sub-$20 PCI modem that came from Fry's. It was an el-cheapo brand that I was able to determine was an LT Winmodem. The ltmodem driver worked without any fuss with that guy.