2004 Jul 07 15:44

[vox] Senate Bill 2560 to make Peer-to-peer illegal

[vox] Senate Bill 2560 to make Peer-to-peer illegal

From Slashdot:
"The Senate Judiciary Committee, led by everybody's favorite senator,
Orrin Hatch, is moving to outlaw P2P entirely by making it illegal to
produce such applications. Hatch says such firms 'think that they can
legally profit by inducing children to steal. Some think they can
legally lure children into breaking the law with false promises of
"free music."' So, when was the last time that Kazaa told kids to
steal music? Shouldn't the parents be the ones looking out for their
kids? The RIAA is (surprise!) in favor of this, while P2P groups are
(surprise!) opposed."

See the story on Yahoo News:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=77&e=1&u=/mc/20040706/tc_mc/billtargetsfirmsthatinducecopyrightviolations

Fax or Email your senators about it at
http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=2918

The sponsors of this bill are Mr. HATCH (for himself, Mr. LEAHY, Mr.
FRIST, Mr. DASCHLE, Mr. GRAHAM of South Carolina, and Mrs. BOXER)
See: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.2560:

Barbara Boxer is now on my election hit list.