2004 Jun 30 16:47

Re: [vox] Time for a refresher talk on PGP/GPG? :)

Re: [vox] Time for a refresher talk on PGP/GPG? :)

On 2004.06.30 16:04, Bill Kendrick wrote:

Appeals Circuit Ruling: ISPs Can Read E-Mail
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/30/2014242&mode=nocomment

The US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (covering Massachusetts,
Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island) has ruled that e-mail
providers are not violating the law by reading users' e-mail without
the user's consent. The decision finds that the Wiretap Act does not
cover interception of communications where the communications are
being stored, not transmitted.

Interesting, Chris DiBona talks about how it's odd so many people use
things
like SSH and SCP, yet still use plaintext e-mail. I'm a culprit of
this,
as well. :^/

What About E-mail Security?
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2004-06-23-015-26-OP-SW-NT

Ever used driftnet? I go to a lot of conferences, and one thing I
find myself doing while speaking is checking how engaged the audience
is by sniffing the 802.11b traffic in the room. Whether this is a
measure of how absorbing I am or, to put it delicately, how
self-absorbed the conference attendee is, is an open question. That
said, it always is surprising to me how little encrypted traffic is
flowing on the very open Internet.
I use GPG - it's other people who don't, so all I can really use GPG for is signing messages. (And even then, what's the point?)

Once upon a time I had to grand a Debian developer access to my machine so he could try to debug an unreproducable bug - I used GPG encryption then, to send him the login information. But that was only one situation.

--Ken Bloom

P.S. I'll take encryption more seriously when you tell me where I can find vox@lists.lugod.org's public key.