2004 Jun 25 19:36

Re: [vox] Heresy! AOL on Linux?

I too had AOL at my parent's house (this was back when AOL was at version 3.0 and they had just made their big jump from pay by the minute to pay per month). It took a lot of patience just to get online in those days.

Anyway, it took me a while to "ween" myself from AOL even though, as an increasingly "tech-savvy" guy, I knew it wasn't cool to use AOL. When I got to college, the university provided free dialup and it was easy to say goodbye.

AOL puts three key things all in one place: e-mail, web, and chat.

I promise you can make your sister happy enough in a couple of ways:

1. mail: aol webmail, or mozilla/kmail with some other pop account

she may think it's the end of the world to change addresses, but she'll probably live. aol itself is a fairly flexible e-mail client so i doubt she'll be happy with just aol webmail. It's my suspicion that they make their webmail just good enough to please their remote users, but they don't want to make it good enough to give anybody an excuse to not use their actual product.

2. web: mozilla/konquerer

3. chat: gaim/aol's linux aim client/jbuddy messenger (java-based)/kit (or whatever kde is calling it's im client these days)

AOLers aren't addicted to AOL as much as they are addicted to the user-friedly single envronment. Remember when star-office 5 tried to put all of those tools into one window and how ugly that was? AOL makes users accustomed to seeing the whole interenet that way. It's your job to gracefully transistion your sis from that look and feel by putting all her tools in an easy to find and use configuration. I've found that with Kmail's bountiful toolbar options you can make the damn thing look almost anyway you want, so you may be able to tweak it to look like AOL mail.

She's not going to care about browsing. I bet that transistion will be easier. Nothing besides AOL supports AOL keywords right? Does she use that alot?

Gaim supports almost all of the AIM features, and more so than the actual AOL linux client. With gaim she can file transfer, use her favorite buddy icons, blah, blah, blah. She can convert her AOL username to a free AIM username if she ditches AOL alltogether, or continue to pay that extra $10 a month to use AOL along with whatever ISP she's using.

The first time she gets infected with a crippling amount of ad/spyware (which seems to be happening to everyone I know lately), she might be more inclined to let you change her OS.

I recently set my mother-in-law up with linux/kde/konquerer/kmail on an outdated laptop, and she e-mails people everyday and does a little browsing. I don't even think she knows she's using linux. She just knows that she gets about 80% less junk mail and hasn't seen an unsolicited pop-up in months...

Another suggestion (and I probably shouldn't make this suggestion on this list - I really do prefer the idea of reviving her old laptop with linux) would be to convince your parents to buy her an ibook. She can keep AOL and you can breath a sigh of relief that as her tech-support guy you have one less windows user...

Dave

Richard Crawford wrote:

I would love to divorce my little sister from AOL altogether, actually. My parents don't even use it for connectivity anymore (apparently with
version 9 you can use all of AOL's features even when you're dialed in
through another service -- this way my parents can have DSL and wireless
in their home). I have no idea why my sister so desperately needs to
have AOL, but she's aghast at the idea of giving it up.