2004 Jun 25 14:55

Re: [vox] More IE exploits

Rod Roark wrote:

So, I suppose you are spending more time with the family and
getting your work done and everyone is happy.

We're gonna have to fix that.

Why? As you yourself recognize Linux is a reactionary force. As I said, as a Widows user I am now reading more. As a more literate person I can now see how Linux use dumbs down the population (or rather the few of us that use it). And since you can see that I am spending more time with my family and everyone is happy, then you should be able to see that Microsoft promotes wholesome family values (putting aside Microsoft's lying, cheating and stealing of course).

On a more serious level the thing with me is that, even as a non-techie, Linux is fun to use. Windows use is a task or chore for me. I don't have fun using it. Part of it might just be the feeling of being part of a special movement or community as a Linux user, I don't know. And then there's the fact I'm becoming more leery of accepting the licensing agreements of things like Real Audio and Roxio CD burners.

What do you mean when you say the timing is off?

I don't know what I mean. That is what the person who fixed the computer said. He said that there might be some capacitor leakage, but he found no evidence of it. I was running SuSE 9.0, and he said he got the Mandrake live CD to work. So I downloaded Mandrake 10.0, and tried unsuccessfully to get it to install. During one of those attempts I got an error message about a "syncing" problem.

As I see it, the fact that Windows98 now runs (it didn't before the fix) and Linux doesn't, shows that Linux is better. I've seen this kind of thing at the installfests; Windows98 can run on improperly configured or running computers when Linux can't. I've attributed this to the fact the Linux uses all of the computers resources while Windows doesn't. I've thought that the greater power, speed and efficiency of Linux is due to the fact that it uses all of the computers resources, and when those resources aren't fully available Linux doesn't run. As you know Rod, I don't claim to be an expert. This is just a belief I have.

Bob