2004 Jun 21 08:53

Re: [vox] Email addresses on Members pages

Re: [vox] Email addresses on Members pages

Form mail?  Would it be too difficult to store all e-mail addresses
mentioned on the list in a database and create form mail page that can
send e-mails by the database index?  From experience, it still generates
some spams (actually, mostly nigerian scams), but it's much less (~2/yr
vs. gestimated 100/yr).  The database size shouldn't get too big since
it's all short text, and I don't think a lot of people e-mail people from
the archives so it shouldn't produce much load on the system.

Some other ways to reduce spams:

  1. HTML munging with "&##;" codes.

  2. Javascript munging.

  3. Header flag set by the poster to ask the e-mail address be blocked
     altogether (won't protect his/her e-mail address if quoted in a
     reply, though.)

  4. "Type the number sequence in an image below to reveal the real
     e-mail address"...? =P

Let me know if you need help coding any of this.  I can do a prilim
assessment now and probably get to it in a few weeks.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius