2004 Jun 13 11:31

Re: [vox] Linux viruses?

Tons of Linux virus related discussion on a thread over on the gentoo-user list (highlighted in a recent newsletter). Skimming it, I see quotes of several wild, but low profile, linux viruses have existed in the past.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/82912

Jonathan

ME wrote:
Bill Kendrick said:

Noticed this article on my newsticker just now:

 Antivirus vendors await first Linux worm
 http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/News/1155836

The jist is: no real virus threat, and therefore no demand for AV
software.

However, one line in the article piqued my curiosity:

 Symantec reported that it has found three Linux viruses in the wild
 since the start of 2004.

Anyone have any references to these three?

I can't comment on anything I found unless the company releases
information on it first. I have no idea if the ones I references when this
discussion with Pete S. (ages ago on the lists) have been made public by
the company I visited.

If anyone does have information they can discuss on examples where live
code was found in the wild, I'd also like to know where it was found and
when.

-ME