2004 Jun 03 13:39

Re: [vox] [fwd] KQED program on open source [last night]

Mark K. Kim said:

>> it's impossible, these days, for a single individual to write an
>> entire operating system from scratch (though he doesn't hint that
>> it was impossible in 1991).
> [snip]
>> Sorry.  Here's exactly what he says (p. 10):
>>
>> "There was a time when a single determined individual could write the
>> core of a simple operating system for a primitive computer.  But given
>> the demands of computer applications and the capabilities of hardware
>> technology at present, that is no longer conceivable."
>
> What?  The "core of a simple operating system for a primitive computer"
> can be written by any competent part-time computer hobbist programmer.
> (Probably better than a group of incompetent full-time computer
> programmers with bachelor degrees that hate what they're doing and just
> got into computers for money...) -_-'

Very likely.  Heh.

I'm starting to get a sense of Weber's level of technical knowledge here.
He's a strong advocate of open source, from what I can tell, but I guess
he still needs some edumacation on the technical side.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)