2004 May 25 23:49

[vox] Re: [vox-announce] New mailing list rules

[vox] Re: [vox-announce] New mailing list rules

Just a couple comments.

On 2004.05.24 07:06, Henry House wrote:
	 b. Don't send email attachments

		 Never send attachments GPG signatures are OK) to the
You appear to be missing open-parens before "GPG signatures".

		 lists.  If [-there's a file-] you [-wish-] {+want+}
		 to share {+some file+} with the [-club,-] {+club that
		 is too big to paste directly into your message, you
		 may put it up on you own website or+} contact the
		 webmaster[- and they-] {+, who+} may be able to post
		 the file to our [-website, at least-] {+website+}
		 temporarily.

	 c. Use [-80 character-] {+76-character+} lines {+(or
	 shorter)+}

		 Messages with lines greater than 80 characters are
		 [-unsightly-] {+unsightly, contrary to established
		 Internet standards,+} and hard to read for [-most-]
		 {+many+} of us. Make sure you use [-less-] {+fewer+}
		 than [-80-] {+74--76+} characters per line in your
		 messages, especially if you're using a Windows mail
		 client.

	 [-2. Please-] {+You may need to turn on 'word wrapping' or a
	 simimilarly named feature. By starting with lines 74--76
	 characters long.  messages can+} be {+quoted in replies a few
	 times before reaching 80 characters.

Be+} polite

	If you have an issue with some one, please keep it in private
	e-mail.  Always be polite and respectful of other people and
	their ideas on these lists. Never flame for any reason.

	 [-3.-] {+NB: This is not a prohibition against expressing
	 your opinion, only about certain methods of expressing it.+}

Technical Assistance

	[-The list manager is Bill-] {+Our vox mailing lists are
	administered by our mailing-list manager, currently Bill+}
	Kendrick. He manages / [-administrates-] {+administers+} the
	mailing lists and also enforces [-the rules.-] {+these rules
	(sometimes other LUGOD officers do this as well).+} If you
	have any problems or questions about the mailing lists, please
	contact him. By using vox-lists, you must agree to abide by
	the list administrator's wishes concerning the vox-lists.

	 [-4.-]

{+Staying On-topic

	 1.+} Use the right list; don't crosspost.

		 Please don't crosspost between the different
		 vox-lists.  Also, don't crosspost between any of the
		 vox-lists and other non-LUGOD mailing lists.

	 [-5.-]

	 {+2.+} Off-Topic postings

		 When posting a message that isn't particularly
		 related to Linux or the club, please prepend "[OT]"
		 (short for "Off-Topic") to the message's subject
		 line. (eg, "[OT] Dr. Who convention").  To help
		 reduce traffic, if you notice that a particular list
		 is having a high-volume day, please refrain from
		 posting off-topic messages altogether.
In practice, this applies only to vox. If something's OT for vox-tech,
it generally ends up on vox.

	 [-6.-]

	 {+3. Do not start a new thread by replying to an unrelated
	 message Do not post a message that starts a new line of
	 discussion (thread) by replying to someone else's post and
	 changing the subject. Instead, use the 'compose new message'
	 or whatever equivalent command your mailer provides.
The rules should probably mention the fact that most vox-* users
use mail clients that can arrange threading into a nice tree to make
it easy to follow the discussion and see who replied to who. Point out
that this is annoying because it defeats this feature of the email
client. (It's most likely that the people who reply to messages to
start a new thread do so because they aren't aware of email clients
that organize messages by thread, and they don't run such an email
client.)

		 An example of this is asking a question, "How can I
		 learn how to run a web server on Linux?" by replying
		 to a message on "Re: Compiling PostgreSQL from source
		 on Debian". The two posts are completely unrelated.
		 On the other hand, it is a good practice to change
		 the subject line when the discussion in a thread
		 drifts to a new (but related) topic.

		 A good test it this: did you quote relevant
		 discussion in your new message and author a response
		 to it? If the previous discussion was irrelevant to
		 your new post, then you should start a new thread
		 using 'compose new message', not 'reply'.