2004 May 21 11:44

Re: [vox] New laptop...one else

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 08:30:07AM -0700, donw@examen.com wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 08:24:24AM -0700, MB wrote:
> > I prefer dell.  If you look for linux help/setup/etc.  there seems to be
> > a flood of people running linux on dell.  I currently have a D600, and
> > have found ample help on google.
>
> I've got a Dell C600, and I've been generally happy with it, although
> (a) you will probably have to replace fans, and (b) the Inspiron line
> of notebooks is crap.  Get a Latitude if you get a Dell.  They also have
> a refurbished sales department with pretty decent deals.

I've had two Dells myself that I've been happy with. Currently own
an X200 that they don't make anymore, and I really like it. However,
we've had several Dells at the Math department that have been in sad
states (even some Latitudes). The tech guy who came to repair one said
that some models even within Latitude are less sturdy than others.
So it's kind of a crap shoot sometimes.

I've heard two other people who have had good experiences with the D600.
The case seemed a little weak from the few days it was in our office,
but a few days isn't a good comparison to the people who actually use it
every day :)

We've been trying to stick with IBMs and Macs lately, though Zach has
had problems getting drivers working with the wireless cards in the
IBMs.

-Marianne