January 6: Social gathering
2004 Apr 28 09:40

Re: [vox] Debates, etc.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:29:28AM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 18:28, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > So, at least a few people are interested in having presidental debates and/or
> > a Q/A.
>
> Doug, Emily, Hans, and Ryan:
>
> Why should I vote for you?
>
> --
> Tim Riley

My answer is pretty short: because I love Linux and want to do
everything I can to further its use and exposure. :-)

Lugod has been a great experience because it opened up the Linux
operating system for me; when I joined I was pretty much a newbie,
having only installed the OS a few times.  Lugod has helped me
tremendously. It even got me into Debian. Now, I want to return the
favor and help the club out where I can.

What I bring to the table is a keen interest in Linux and open source in
general, an open mind to learn all I can, and an overall enthusiasm for
the club and its members. I use Linux everyday on the desktop and as a
server. Plus, I use mutt and sign my emails with GPG and I even have an
open source project (it's not much, but hey!
http://www.dooglio.net/VncSelector). :-)

On the flip side, I'm not very good with red tape, and I may be late for
a few meetings now and then since my job is clear on the other end of
town and I work odd hours[*] . The delegation aspect of the position
will very much be taken advantage of (hee hee).  I will do my best to
keep club functions running smoothly, such as the outreach programs like
Installfests and Demos, attending conventions, planning the meetings,
and getting speakers.  However I'll need help doing it.

Okay, so I'm not as smart and funny as Bill is, but I think I will do
well and have fun as Lugod's president, if for no other reason than I
love the club and what it stands for.

-Doug

[*] However, I will be able to telecommute occasiaonlly as soon as my
company installs its VPN, meaning I'll be working in Davis making it
easier to get to the meeting early. :-)

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net