2004 Apr 22 11:25

Re: [vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

Re: [vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:30:48PM -0700, Dave Margolis wrote:
<snip>
> These guy make a couple of CDs similar to what you're describing:
> http://www.bsdmall.com/darwin.html
> However, fink (apt port for OS X) sort of makes this sort of CD silly,
> unless you're using dialup

Well, so is handing out GNUWinII discs, then. ;^)  The point is, people
are probably much more willing to pop a disc in to try it out
(ooh! shiny free disc!) than to go gathering up apps on the net.

We kinda need to force things down people's throat, ESPECIALLY in the
cases where we're trying to wean them off the bullcrap that's preinstalled
(e.g., Internet Explorer!)

<snip>
> I'd be happy to do this, but there are some problems.  X11 is required
> for a lot of stuff, and you have to install that from the mysterious 3rd
> OS X cd (the "developer tools") which most Mac users have never taken
> out of the wrapper.  This is not required for Mozilla, but would be for
> OOo or the Gimp.  You'd have to provide some kind of documentation.  Any
> thoughts on how best to do this?
<snip>

Would it be against the license to INCLUDE it [X11] on our own disc?

Or am I going too far here by suggesting we put together and maintaining
our own disc?

Perhaps a pamphlet with useful info might be suitable for the Mac users.