2004 Apr 21 23:19

Re: [vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

Re: [vox] Something like GNUWinII, but for Macs?

Bill Kendrick wrote:

Are there and Open Source software complilations (NOT bootable Linux distros!)
for Macs?

e.g., OpenOffice.org, The Gimp, Mozilla, stuff like that...?

These guy make a couple of CDs similar to what you're describing: http://www.bsdmall.com/darwin.html
However, fink (apt port for OS X) sort of makes this sort of CD silly, unless you're using dialup

As far as Mac users go, it might be nice to make them aware that they are ALREADY using a lot of open source software. With the excpetion of Aqua (the default windowing system/window manager) and some of the applications (iMovie, the DVD player, and so on), everything else IS open source. OS 10.3 is FreeBSD 5.1 loaded up with a bunch of standard GNU tools. Then they slap their windowing system on top of that and a bunch of apps and utilities. Their fancy print setup utility is just a front-end to cups, their "connect to server" dialog is a friendly frontend to Samba, NFS, WebDAV etc..

I think having a small set of this to give out at WEF would be good.

If noone knows of any, would someone be willing to do the footwork to
put together an ISO that volunteers could burn? (I think 50qty would probably
be enough)

I'd be happy to do this, but there are some problems. X11 is required for a lot of stuff, and you have to install that from the mysterious 3rd OS X cd (the "developer tools") which most Mac users have never taken out of the wrapper. This is not required for Mozilla, but would be for OOo or the Gimp. You'd have to provide some kind of documentation. Any thoughts on how best to do this?

Also, there hasn't been much talk of whether we should take advantage of
CheapByte's offer to get professionally done discs for 59c a piece.
(We'd need min. 500, therefore it'd cost ~$300 minimum.)

Henry? What do you think? Other folks? Please speak up!

Finally, I haven't heard from Mike Simons as to whether he's spoken with
GTC, and if we can get a discounted booth this year.

Mike? Any word?

Thanks!