2004 Apr 09 11:54

Re: [vox] Connecting to a remote Oracle database

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> Ryan said:
> > On Thursday 08 April 2004 06:06 pm, Richard Crawford
> > rscrawford-at-mossroot.com |lugod| wrote:

> >> 1521 on the oracle server ONLY to your home ip address.

> >> channel, you can create a SSH tunnel having only port 22 open on the
> >> oracle server something like:

> >> oracle.business.com
> >>
> >> Thanks, Mark.
> >>
> >> I tried connecting to the remote database from home, but TOra could
> >> not find an environment variable called ORACLE_HOME.
> >
> > On a system at work we run an oracle client on, ORACLE_HOME is set to
> > $HOME/OraHome1
> >
> > Do you have an OraHome1 directory on your system?
> >
> > Also, I have to use `export ORACLE_HOME=$HOME/OraHome1` to make it work.
>
> Er... I have no Oracle software installed on my computer at home, other
> than TOra.  I was just hoping to connect to the remote database, using
> TOra as a thin client.  Do I need more than that?

I haven't used TOra, but I thought it was supposed to help you with
this.  Not sure what you mean by "thin client"... the thinnest client I
know of is an ssh session.  More than that, you have to setup your client
machine to speak Oraclese... which at a minimum involves telling the
client software which Oracle server instance you want to work
with... which is information that normally goes into $ORACLE_HOME so the
client software can find it.

Maybe you should just ssh into an account on the server and work from
there?

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing