2004 Apr 09 07:20

Re: [vox] Connecting to a remote Oracle database

Re: [vox] Connecting to a remote Oracle database

On Thursday 08 April 2004 06:06 pm, Richard Crawford
rscrawford-at-mossroot.com |lugod| wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:58, MB wrote:
> > Richard,
> >
> > Oracle normally runs on port 1521, so you will need to open port 1521
> > on the oracle server ONLY to your home ip address.
> >
> > That should get you enough access.  If you would rather encrypt the
> > channel, you can create a SSH tunnel having only port 22 open on the
> > oracle server something like:
> >
> > ssh -l Myusername -L 1521:oracle.business.com:1521 oracle.business.com
>
> Thanks, Mark.
>
> I tried connecting to the remote database from home, but TOra could not
> find an environment variable called ORACLE_HOME.

On a system at work we run an oracle client on, ORACLE_HOME is set to
$HOME/OraHome1

Do you have an OraHome1 directory on your system?

Also, I have to use `export ORACLE_HOME=$HOME/OraHome1` to make it work.

Also available at http://www.XXXXXXX/~ryan/ryan_at_mother_dot_com.asc