2004 Apr 09 01:36

Re: [vox] Connecting to a remote Oracle database

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:58, MB wrote:
> > Richard,
> >
> > Oracle normally runs on port 1521, so you will need to open port 1521
> > on the oracle server ONLY to your home ip address.
> >
> > That should get you enough access.  If you would rather encrypt the
> > channel, you can create a SSH tunnel having only port 22 open on the
> > oracle server something like:
> >
> > ssh -l Myusername -L 1521:oracle.business.com:1521 oracle.business.com
>
> Thanks, Mark.
>
> I tried connecting to the remote database from home, but TOra could not
> find an environment variable called ORACLE_HOME.

I am not a regular user of Oracle, but I think part of configuring your
client computer to communicate with the server includes setting up a
directory that contains the configuration files, binaries, and library
files that support your connection.

In this case, you will be setting up the ssh connection, and then
pretending the server tcp port is localhost:1521.  You'll have to Read The
Fine Manual to find out how your ORACLE_HOME should be set up.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing