2004 Apr 03 22:49

Re: [vox] Widgets and window managers (was on vox-tech: IDE cdrw/dvdrw

on Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:03:01AM -0800, Mark K. Kim (markslist@cbreak.org) wrote:
> Let the morning rambling begin...
>
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > however, i have a confession to make.  i liked GNOME (although i would
> > never use GNOME) because IMHO, gtk is MUCH prettier than qt.  actually,
> > i *used* to like gtk.  the gtk 2.0 widget set is the ugliest thing i've
> > ever seen.  i installed the development version of gimp on one of my
> > systems.  within minutes, i kicked that thing off my system and went
> > back to gimp 1.2.  they call that progress?  ick.
>
> Haha... I like the new gimp =)  I can't tell the difference between the
> new GTK and the old GTK; seems like the new Gimp just uses new icons for
> its buttons, though, and I like the new buttons (more colorful =)

I've just installed a few new Debian boxen.  New versions of several
GNOME apps, including Gimp and (gasp) Galeon.  The latter being one
"upgrade" I really *didn't* want to make.  I'm actually pleasently
surprised, mostly, at the latter.

> > joe arruda had a profound effect on my life: i will be using nothing
> > but enlightenment till the day i die.  i don't know if he's reading
> > vox traffic anymore, but if he is... "joe, thank you for
> > 'enlightening' me".
>
> No comment on the messiness of E code or its bloatedness... -_-'

After a week's use of legacy MS Windows XP and KDE (via Knoppix),
getting a WindowMaker desktop was a welcome breath of fresh air.

I'm not particularly keen on the GNUstep widget set (more properly
WINGS) under GNU/Linux, through I like WMaker's generally clean,
no-nonsense appearance, and configurability on Things Wot Matters.

> > on the subjects of widget sets, i have a deep dark secret that i've
> > never told anybody but my wife, but now i'm going to let it all hang
> > out.  i really love microsoft's widget set.   it's beautiful,
> > feature rich and intuitive.  i wish someone would clone it.

This is my favorite widget:   |

> Wow... I think the MS widget set is ugly (I think it overuses 3D
> effects and has not enough colors).  I like the Mac's widget sets (all
> of 'em -- classic, Platinum, OS X)...  and how they "move" when you
> interact with them.  So elegant! so pretty! =)
>
> [snip]
> > it's really too bad that a) the windows kernels suck so badly,

It's rather less the kernel than the crud loaded on top and spaghetti
code which is legacy MS Windows.  Largely driven for marketing and
lock-in purposes.

> > b) windows developers are so stupid

They're not.

In things Microsoft, never attribute to stupidity that which can be
adequately ascribed to malice.

> > that they can't break out of the "everything must be a GUI paradigm
> > and c) the design of the OS is so flawed.

These are not accidental features, IMVAO.

> There was a project that set out to mimic Windows.  Forgot what it's
> called.  They wanted to mimic everything, including the control panel.
> Don't know the project URL, though =(  I think I found the project
> originally via Slashdot.

XPde.  Still relatively early beta.  Good for screenshots, though not
serious work.  Hrm.  Maybe it *is* finished.

    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Images/XP-screen.png
    (Yes, Virginia, that *is* a GNU/Linux desktop)

Peace.

    Save Bob Edwards!  http://www.savebobedwards.com/