2004 Apr 03 22:49

Re: [vox] Content Sharing becomes Bandwidth Theft

Re: [vox] Content Sharing becomes Bandwidth Theft

Something that was done ages ago by people upset with this kind of
behavior was to reject all referring URL which are not from your own
domain.

This causes people who use your bandwidth in this way to have icons which
often do not work as expected. They must then decide if they want somehing
that is broken for many people or something else.

With apache you can do some clever things with mod_rewrite, and it may be
of some use here. You could possibly take cases where a referring URL is
not from your site, and replace it with an image that says something like,
"I am an image thief as I like to steal bandwidth." Then, when people use
your images, their "presence" is one of a thief. :-)

-ME