January 6: Social gathering
2004 Mar 23 16:44

Re: [vox] (OT) Online Banking Using Mozilla

Re: [vox] (OT) Online Banking Using Mozilla

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 16:12, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:

<snip>

> Has anyone else experienced this kind of reluctance on the part of large
> corporations to support standards? If you have, have you taken or
> considered taking action quickly so that Linux users are not left without
> a wide selection of online banking resources?

I haven't experienced this problem with Firefox 0.8... but then I have the
User Agent Switcher extension installed, and my user agent string is
set to IE.

I have had this problem with the PeopleSoft system used by San Jose
State University; I can only log in to that system with IE, and even
setting my user agent string to IE in Firefox fixes it.  I sent an angry
e-mail about the issue to the student mailing list, and even received
a note from someone telling me that since AOL owns Netscape and Netscape
owns Mozilla, Mozilla and Firefox are compliant only to the standards
that AOL decides to put in place, and that MSIE 5.5 for Mac was the only
standards-compliant browser in existence.

The things people believe.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford