2004 Mar 22 15:04

Re: [vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Re: [vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

At 03:29 PM 3/19/2004, you wrote:
As for turtle graphics, I suspect the modern male child would learn how to draw a star, then a boobie, then get bored with it.

I don't know if I count as a modern child (I'm 26), but MY formative programming experience was with the Logo turtle, and I liked it. It was somewhat formal, though: the teacher would say, "Class, this month we're drawing [a heart | a house | a zoo animal | something else]." And we would have to figure out how to draw whatever it was; it had to be recognizable, but otherwise there were no requirements. I'm not sure how this would work if your target child wasn't motivated by a grade (Adult: "I'd like you to draw a house." Child: "No."), but there's PLENTY of challenge to be had with Logo.

--nicole twn