January 6: Social gathering
2004 Mar 21 06:39

Re: [vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

On 2004.03.19 15:08, Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:04:32PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:

> The IDEs are all bloated.

Wow.  One-liner diss :)
Dont' get me wrong. Java is a great language with incredibly comprehensive standard libraries (which I find useful for things like sockets and SQL databases), and GCJ makes it a reasonably efficient language too.

The problem is with the IDEs is they all try to do RAD development and they all take a lot of overhead doing it, and they're all compiled in bytecode - not GCJ. Perhaps the RAD development isn't so much of a problem, but GCJ doesn't support AWT or Swing (so the RAD development tools, and generally the programs you'd write with them) can't yet be compiled down to native code. And even if they could be compiled with GCJ, do you think any of the IDE vendors would actually take the time to do that?

After you remove RAD, there's not much that you can't do with your standard development tools.