2004 Mar 22 14:09

Re: [vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Re: [vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

I'm not a parent, and I don't know this kid, but do you actually know that he'd like to write a game or use turtle graphics?

If you asked him, sure, he might say he wants to write a game. But if he writes some typical beginner-tutorial game like "hangman", he'll probably decide the game is lame about five seconds after he's done. Trying to write a "real" game, even one like Frozen Bubble, might end with him quitting in frustration. As for turtle graphics, I suspect the modern male child would learn how to draw a star, then a boobie, then get bored with it.

Maybe you could start him out with mysql and show him how to make a database of his classmates or his action figures or something. That leads pretty quickly into writing utilities and web front-ends.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338