2004 Mar 20 20:36

Re: [vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Re: [vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

This is actually a really good question; thanks for asking it. I've been thinking about introducing basic (not BASIC) programming to my 5 year old at some point (probably when he's a little older than 5). He's been so shockingly quick ot pick things up, and with zero teaching (you should see this kid operate the Tivo!). I was already planning on doing PHP, but my brother-in-law is a big TCL user and threw that in as a possibility. Obviously a lot of people like Python too. I kind of liked the idea of something that could graduate into GUI programming. TCL/TK offers this. PHP obviously doesn't unless you consider Web-scripting an abstract example of GUI programming. What are the GUI programming possibilities for Python?
Bill Kendrick wrote:

Back when I was 8 years old (about 20 years ago now!), I programmed in
BASIC on my Timex Sinclair 1000 and Atari 1200XL computers.

Today, I've been asked to tutor a very smart (but currently far
too Windows-saavy for his and his parents' own good) 8 year old kid.

He's got a Pentium (which doesn't work, and it sounds like Windows is
broken), and I'm thinking of installing Linux for him. (He's used it before,
and likes what he's seen.) I think he's ready to start picking up programming, as it will provide him with a creative outlet for all that
computer geek energy he has.

What's a good, kid-friendly language for today's kids to use (on Linux,
of course!)?

I've though about picking up some Python and passing my knowledge on to him,
but of course I'd rather ask the educators and other experts on various
mailing lists for suggestions, since many of you have already dealt with
this problem before.

:^)

Thanks in advance!

-bill!