2004 Mar 19 12:11

[vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

[vox] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Back when I was 8 years old (about 20 years ago now!), I programmed in
BASIC on my Timex Sinclair 1000 and Atari 1200XL computers.

Today, I've been asked to tutor a very smart (but currently far
too Windows-saavy for his and his parents' own good) 8 year old kid.

He's got a Pentium (which doesn't work, and it sounds like Windows is
broken), and I'm thinking of installing Linux for him.  (He's used it before,
and likes what he's seen.)  I think he's ready to start picking up
programming, as it will provide him with a creative outlet for all that
computer geek energy he has.

What's a good, kid-friendly language for today's kids to use (on Linux,
of course!)?

I've though about picking up some Python and passing my knowledge on to him,
but of course I'd rather ask the educators and other experts on various
mailing lists for suggestions, since many of you have already dealt with
this problem before.

:^)

Thanks in advance!

-bill!