2004 Mar 14 21:48

[vox] [OT] For Sale: Olympus D-620L digital camera (works w/ Linux!)

[vox] [OT] For Sale: Olympus D-620L digital camera (works w/ Linux!)

I have an Olympus D-620L digital camera for sale, which I'll be bringing
to the LUGOD meeting tomorrow.

It includes practically everything you need to use it right away
(it works with Gphoto and PhotoPC under Linux, and presumably the memory
cards will work with a SmartMedia card reader, as well)

* The camera
* Two memory cards  (8MB and 16MB)
* One memory card case
* Four rechargable (NiMH) AA batteries
* AC adapter
* Serial cable
* Carrying case

(The only thing it's missing is a battery charger; those are easy to get
and not very expensive.  I bet Longs has 'em, and I know Fry's does!)

The camera itself is SLR with 3x zoom, and is a 1.4 Megapixel progresive CCD.
It has a built-in, pop-up flash.

It has a built-in color backlit LCD screen for viewing photos after you've
taken them (and for interacting with the menus), and a smaller LCD display
on top to show battery status, memory level, and other options.

In HQ (high quality) mode, the 16MB card can hold approx. 50 photos.
In SHQ (super high quality), it can hold about 16 photos.
(HQ and SHQ are both 1024x768; one is just less compressed)

And in SQ (standard quality), it can hold nearly 200 photos.
(SQ is 640x480 resolution)

I took photos of LUGOD events with this camera for a number of years, and
had very few problems with it.  (The biggest pain in the butt was when I
tried using one of the memory cards with a Rio MP3 player, which uses a
totally incompatible, proprietary filesystem format; I had to use an app
under Windows to format it back to 'normal' so the camera could use it :^) )

Transferring files over the serial cable is a little slow and tedious
(compared to using Compact Flash (CF) cards with my Zaurus and my new camera),
but I'm sure a USB SmartMedia card reader would help in that department.
(You wouldn't need to use Gphoto or PhotoPC, either... you could just
"mv" the files off the card :^) )

Asking $150 OBO.  Email me privately or talk to me after the meeting
if you're interested. :^)

-bill!
PS - I'm also giving away a random X-Window programming book from O'Reilly ;)