2004 Mar 09 23:14

Re: [vox] Interest in KDE talk?

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:31:23PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> I know this is off topic, but I can't resist the temptation to express
> my fears.  I keep reading stuff about GNOME's partners.  And that
> includes Novell.  And Novell is SuSE which apparently has been
> "sharing" developers with KDE.  And GNOME has other partners like Sun
> and others including maybe IBM (I don't exactly recall).  As I see it,
> there is a corporate push to put GNOME on the desktop.  And so I worry
> about KDE's future.  And I started out with GNOME.

I think KDE is here to stay.  It will remain a powerful desktop
alternative, as it has always been, regardless of what happens with
GNOME and it's apparent adoption as the default by enterprise Linux
vendors.  In many ways KDE seems slicker and more cohesive than GNOME.
Every Linux GUI/window system has its strengths, and the best thing is
you can choose between them.  I myself use GNOME and KDE (along with
WindowMaker, fvwm, and sometimes even just twm), depending on my mood
;-).

-David