2004 Mar 09 22:33

Re: [vox] Interest in KDE talk?

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:54:26PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> I've been avoiding that bloated window manager for a while, preferring GTK
> apps when I have the choice, but I nevertheless prefer to program in QT.
> I'd love to hear what's new in KDE (the last KDE I really used was 2.x).

3.2 is really a world away from 2.x :^)

I'm keeping an eye on Gnome (have XChat 2 and Gimp 1.2.5, waiting to figure
out the cleanest way to get Gimp 2.0 installed on my now-hybrid Debian/Woody
system), but I'm definitely currently 'sold' on the KDE environment.

In a way, I almost think of KDE for Linux in the same way I think of
Linux for PCs.

We're at a point where almost ANYTHING you need to do can be done
entirely under Linux.  Office?  OpenOffice.org/etc.  Paint/photo?  Gimp.
Web browsing?  Mozilla/etc.

I think we're coming to a point where almost anything you want to do
under LINUX can be done under KDE.  Office?  KOffice.
Web browsing?  Konqueror.  Instant Messenging?  Kopete.

While I appreciate the variety Linux offers (Mozilla/Galeon/Konqueror/etc.,
OpenOffice.org/GNOME Office/KOffice/etc.), I do also greatly enjoy the
integration KDE apps seem to have.  (Apparently, GNOME is getting better, too;
I just haven't used GNOME 2 really.)

For example, a little thing I've noticed, but a nice touch... almost
every app has a "Help" menu which contains a "Report Bug..." option.
That launches a web browser that jumps to the KDE bug website, and
automagically fills out a number of fields in the wizard there.
Very cool. :^)   (Admittedly, I do remember GNOME 1.x having something like
this, but I don't remember if it was as consistent or as integrated.)

Anyway, as they've said the past 5 years, 2004 is the year of the Linux
desktop. ;^)  [*]

-bill!
[*] I feel like making a parody Chinese calendar like you see in
restaurants, and have Tux penguins on every year. ;^) ;^)