2004 Mar 06 19:14

Re: [vox] Open Source and Security

Bill Kendrick said:
> Also, who needs ATI Rage 128-bit video on their /server/? ;^) )

"Hey Root, could you spec out the new file server?"

"Yeah. Sure. Here you go."

"Why does this server have a 3D Video Card with 128MB of RAM?"

"Oh, that is to offload the video work to the video card so the CPU can
focus on the task of file serving... Yeah... that's it."

"Ok, but then why do you have a 3D-Surround-Sound audio card included?"

"Ummm.. Well... Let's see here.... Oh, that is so we can have the server
send out audible alerts so we can hear them."

"Ok, but then why did you also include this 3D FPS as part of the
'required' software?"

"Ummm... Stress testing?"

"Ok."

[3 Months later]

*BLAM* *POW* *KABLOOMY* *RATTT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT* *SQUISH*

"Hey! Why is the file server so slow?"

*BLAM* *POW* *KABLOOMY* *RATTT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT* *SQUISH*

"Oh, the syadmin is 'stress testing the server.'"

*BLAM* *POW* *KABLOOMY* *RATTT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT* *SQUISH*

"During business hours?"

[1 hour later]

"Hey, is this the line for collecting unemployment?"

;-)