2004 Mar 01 12:11

Re: [vox] old laptop up for grabs

I'd like it, but it looks like (a) someone wants it already and (b) I can't make it to Sac State. I'll be at the meeting on Tuesday, though.

On 2004.02.29 23:55, Dave Margolis wrote:
Hello,

I'm cleaning up the 'office' and I thought this machine might be of
interest to somebody. I'll donate it to the first person willing to swing
by my work (Sac State) and pick it up.

I've got an ancient laptop that is all but useless for most purposes, but
works great as a router (or any lightweight function, even runs X ok as
long as it's not KDE or Gnome or any of the other RAM-intensive VMs).

It's a Toshiba Satellite 205CDS - 100% Linux compatible...

The screen and the caseing are beat to hell. The screen displays some
weird distorted artifacts, but is plenty bright and readible.

Here are the general specs:

processor
Intel Pentium 100Mhz

RAM
8MB upgraded to 40MB

video
C&T ct65550 w/2MB VRAM

sound
ESS ES688 (works great using the sb driver, the built in single speaker
even sounds pretty decent)

hard-disk
Toshiba 750MB - replaced by IBM 2GB (doesn't quite fit in there because
the screws don't line up right, but works).

CDROM
internal 6x CDROM

floppy
external 1.44MB

other stuff
IR, PS/2, parallel, headphone jack, serial, 2 16-bit PCMCIA slots (I've
gotten this guy doing wireless with a couple different 16-bit cards such
as the Netgear MA401 or Cisco 305)

APM works great under Linux.
The battery doesn't hold much charge, but works pretty good for as old as
it is...good enough for using as a 10-15 minute UPS.

I'd be happy to throw in the Belkin PC-Card NIC I've been using with it.

That's about it...let me know if you want it or have questions.

Dave