2004 Feb 23 03:20

Re: [vox] vim magic

on Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:42:20PM -0800, Dylan Beaudette (dylan@iici.no-ip.org) wrote:

> > In this particluar instance, I was testing HD performance between 2
> > different kernels. I was booting each kernel and running the following:
> > hdparm -T /dev/hda | grep Timing | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d\= -f1
> > in a loop with the output going to a file, resulting in a file that
> > looked something like:
> >    724 MB in  2.01 seconds
> >    744 MB in  2.00 seconds
> > etc. A total for the columns would have let me calculate a quick
> > average.
> >

> why not use awk to do the summation:
> ...using whitespace as a delimeter $4 = time column
>
> awk '{x = x + $4} END {print x}' input_file
>
> ..output will be the sum of column 4

I've got the following as 'addup' (sum is a checksum program) which does
just that.  Invoke it from shell or within vim on a range of data.

#!/usr/bin/awk -f

{ total = total + $1 }
END { print total }

Peace.

    It is kinda awkward to have this "vote stuffing" feature.
    - Diebold Electronic Voting Machine memos.
      http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0309/S00106.htm