2004 Feb 10 09:25

Re: [vox] orkut is evil

on Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 03:27:56PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> just in case there are people who haven't seen it yet:
>

>    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35375.html
>

> do a google search.  you'll find some interesting stuff about orkut
> (and, unfortunately, google).

Orlowski somewhat has it in for Google, though I'm not always sure what
his gripe is.

The  other quote he tossed out a few days back was:

    People really aren't going to trust them if they view these
    start-ups as honeypots for future marketroids to reap everything we
    didn't want them to know. Let alone allow a passing hacker to scarf
    up this potential archive of great exploitable value.
    -- Andrew Orlowski, on Orkut, Friendster, and ilk.

(from my .sig rotation).  Given that I've worked in some pretty spooky
data collection systems, I try to avoid them where I can.

Still, I can't figure out for the life of me why they didn't call it...

   .
   .
   .

   .