2004 Jan 28 08:54

Re: [vox] SBC Yahoo! DSL.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:48:10AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 07:41 am, donw@examen.com wrote:
> > Well, it looks like this is the cheaper of the two broadband options for
> > my new midtown Sacramento apartment.  Does anyone here use this service
> > under Linux and, if so, how's the setup?
>
> If you can get SBC DSL, you have way more than two options
> as SBC is obliged to make their facilities available to
> other ISPs.  Start with http://www.dslreports.com/.

Oh, I'm aware of that, but they don't get too bad of a rap on
broadbandreports.com (formerly dslreports.com), and I can get 1.5M DSL
on a cheapie phone line for a grand total of less than $35 a month
(they've got a promo going on for a one-year contract).

Do you have another ISP you can recommend that can come close to that
($50 or less is the target)?  I'm all for giving business to the local
guys, but I'm going to be a starving student again in six months or so,
and I'm trying to not spend money if I can avoid it.