2004 Jan 25 01:17

Re: [vox] A hypothetical question about the Web's dark underbelly

On Saturday 17 January 2004 04:02 pm, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:41:44AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:

> > > I always feel like I need to defend myself when the flaws of our website
> > > are pointed out.  Yes, I know cleartext passwords are bad.  And the
> > > JavaScript.  And especially the frames....
> >
> > Someone said: no generalization is worth a damn, including
> > this one.
> >
> > My site http://parlorplay.com/ uses all three.  I suppose
> > there's a way to fix the passwords, but making a decent
> > browser-based Java-free animated game without JavaScript and
> > frames would be pretty tough.
>
> I *hate* frames, and I'm not sure what their necessity to such a game
> might be; unless you're talking IFRAME-type stuff.

Frames are handy for implementing scrolling lists.  Also a
frame with zero width or height (making it invisible) makes
it possible to communicate with a web server behind the
scenes.  You can do some really cool things that way.

-- Rod