2004 Jan 16 12:56

Re: [vox] HP touts Linux 'for the real world', sets record with $2.5B Linux-based revenue

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:16:19PM -0800, Dave Margolis wrote:
> Not all models are supported, but a very good number (most?) of them
> are.  My DeskJet 825c works great.  There is an OS X port of these drivers
> too.

BTW, I've got it working, with HPIJS now, too.  I'm using Debian Woody,
'lpr' and 'magicfilter', along with 'hpijs' now.  Results on my
HP Deskjet 882c are much better!  (Parallel port, for the curious...)

I'm using a Woody backport of 'hpijs' 1.5 from:

  deb http://eppesuigoccas.homedns.org/~giuseppe/woodypkgs/ ./

and a Woody backport of Ghostscript 7.07 from:

  deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free

Here's the entry from /etc/printcap:

lp|hpdj882c|HP Deskjet 882C:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj882c:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/dj882c-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Pretty standard, I think.  Doesn't look much different from when I was
using the hpdj550c-filter.

Here's one of the calls to Ghostscript in the magicfilter file
(/etc/magicfilter/dj882c-filter).  I just copied "dj630c-filter", which
I noticed was already using the hpijs stuff ("grep -i isj *" ;^) )

0       %!              filter /usr/bin/gs  -q -sDEVICE=ijs -DSAFER -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=hpijs -sDeviceManufacturer=HEWLETT-PACKARD -sDeviceModel="DESKJET 882C" -DIjsUseOutputFD -DNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- - -c quit

It was a little tough getting the syntax exactly right, esp. since I don't
know what most of it means. :^)

I haven't had time to test it much tonight; been busy doing other stuff.

I wanted to document what I did, though, since I had a hard time finding
specifics for my setup (printcap, hpijs, Deskjet 882c).

Enjoy!  And thanks, Dave!!!  I had no idea hpijs was out there!  Awesome!