2004 Jan 12 16:20

Re: [vox] OT: recommendation on Free cross-platform simple photo manipulator tool?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:25:52AM -0800, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:13:39AM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> > Can anyone recomment a a Free program than runs on common proprietary
> > operating systems and is really simple to use for basic photo-manipulation
> > tasks? It should be able to crop, resize, and convert formats. Nothing else
> > is needed.
> >
> > --
> > Henry House
> > The unintelligible text that may follow is a digital signature.
> > See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key:
> > <http://hajhouse.org/hajhouse.asc>.
> >

> What's wrong with GIMP? Runs on Windows and MacOS, last I checked (and
> I have definitely used it on Windows--I'm sure Bill has too).

Heh, Henry said "really simple to use." ;^)

Actually, if you can stand the bloat of having an entire app the size of
Gimp, then things like cropping, resizing and format changing ARE pretty
simple in The Gimp.

As someone else mentioned, there's also ImageMagick (which I'm still not
too familiar with; I've been using NetPBM for years, and never really
had much reason to do otherwise ;^) )

There appears to be GUIs for ImageMagick.  Google comes up with:

  http://www.sungnyemun.org/imGUI/
  (For Mac OS X)

  [404 URL :^( -- something called 'wximagick']
  (wxWindow GUI, so should run on Windows, Linux, etc.)

Also, Freshmeat finds:

  http://siag.nu/xmagick/
  (A C library that uses ImageMagick)

  http://quikkopy.sourceforge.net/
  (For Linux/Unix; command-line tool, though)

Perhaps someone here who's good with a cross-platform GUI toolkit (like Qt,
FLTK or wxWindow) would be willing to write something for you...?