2004 Jan 01 14:48

Re: [vox] webhosting/shell recomendations?

on Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 10:08:50AM -0800, Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com) wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2004 05:08 am, Rob Rogers wrote:
> > Actually, I hadn't followed the URL because you said it was a list of
> > colocation services. That is not what I am looking for currently. I did
> > just check it out, and I see only one company coming in under the $50
> > range. Like I mentioned in my last email, I'm looking more in the $20-25
> > range.
>
> Are you not able to get static DSL?  It's more than $25
> but has the extra benefit of satisfying your home Internet
> access needs.

More significant for DSL is whether or not the assigned IP falls within
a dialup / dynamic list.  If you're planning on running your own
services via DSL, an increasing number of large mailservers refuse all
mail from any IP on DUL.  Your recourse is to request your ISP remove
your specific IP from this list.  Note that if you _do_ have the ability
to run services, you also have the obligation to run them responsibly.

Static IP isn't a necessity.  Dynamic IP nameserver systems (e.g.:
dyndns.org) allow you to specify your own hostname even on a dynamically
assigned IP.  In the US, it's not uncommon for "dynamic" IPs to remain
assigned exclusively to you for extended periods -- months or longer.
Not always so in Europe from what I've been told (e.g.:  IPs expire in
~24 hours).

Peace.

   KQED FM:  The bright spot on the dial:  http://www.kqed.org/fm/